- New Enquiries
IS IT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR LANDLORDS TO HAVE THE ELECTRICS TESTED WHEN RENTING OUT A RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY?
- AuthorSunny Gangar
As of 1st April 2021, new electrical regulations came into force requiring Landlords to arrange an inspection and to supply an electrical safety certificate for all privately rented properties.
What are the Regulations?
- The electrical inspections must meet the national standard for electrical safety. A qualified electrician will know what the current standards are, however you can view them on the government website:
- An inspection is required to be carried out every 5 years making sure all electrical installations in the property are tested by a qualified electrician.
You will be legal required to provide a copy of the electrical test report to the existing tenant, new tenants or the local authority.
The reports must be made available within the following time scales if they are requested:
- Existing tenants- Within 28 days of inspection and test
- New tenants- Before they occupy the premises
- Local Authority- Within 7 days of receiving the request
- If any remedial work is required to be carried out by the Test report, this must be completed within 28 days of the report. Once completed, your qualified electrician must provide written confirmation to you, the tenant or local authority of the work having been completed.
These new regulations apply to all new and existing Tenancies from the 1st April 2021.
Our Conveyancing team at Johnson Astills can assist and provide you with further information regarding any conveyancing queries. Please contact us at our Leicester Office or Loughborough Office on 0116 2554855 or 01509 610312