In efforts to prevent drug misuse legal restrictions are placed on the creation, use and distribution of highly dangerous and harmful drugs. Under legislation controlled drugs are those classified as being of either class A, B or C depending upon their relative degree of overall harm from misuse.
The most common drugs dealt with by the Courts are:
- Class A: Crack cocaine, Cocaine, Ecstacy (MDMA), LSD & Heroin
- Class B: Amphetamines, Ketamine, Cannabis, Codeine
- Class C: Anabolic steroids, Diazepam, Khat, Vallium
The most common drugs offences dealt with by the Courts are:
- Possession of controlled drugs
- Possession with intent to supply controlled drugs
- Supplying a controlled drug
- Being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug
- Importation (& exportation) of a controlled drug
- Production/Cultivation of controlled drugs
- Permitting premises to be used for the supply/production of controlled drugs
- Conspiracy to supply/import controlled drugs
Which Court will hear my case?
Most drugs offences are either way offences. Whether the matter stays at the Magistrates’ Court or is sent to the Crown Court to be dealt with will depend upon the nature and seriousness of the offence and the amount/value of the controlled drugs concerned. Conspiracy offences are indictable only meaning that only the Crown Court may deal with these matters.
What sentence can I receive for drugs offences?
The sentence imposed by the Court will depend upon the level of offending, the involvement in the offending, and the classification and value of the drugs in question. Class A offences attract the most serious punishments and fines.
At Emery Johnson Astills our specialist advocates in our criminal defence team are highly experienced in dealing with drugs offences at both the Magistrates’ and Crown Court. If you find yourself facing any drugs offence it is vital to contact a solicitor as soon as possible to obtain expert legal advice. Representation at the police station is free, and legal aid may be available for your case at the Magistrates’ and Crown Court. Alternatively for offences which do not qualify for legal aid we offer fixed fees for appointments and representation. To discuss any drugs offences please contact our criminal defence team in Leicester on 0116 2554855 or in Loughborough on 01509 610312.