- New Enquiries
Managing Director Helen qualified in 1990 specialising in Criminal Defence. She founded Emery Johnson (now Johnson Astills) in 1995. She is an experienced Higher Court Advocate, regularly providing representation at the Crown Court. Helen is also regularly instructed in private fee cases.
Helen obtained her Law degree at Anglia Ruskin in 1987 and completed her Law Society Finals at the College of Law, London in 1988. In 1997 Helen Johnson qualified to represent clients, without need to instruct counsel (a barrister), in all courts up to the Crown Court.
Helen specialises in serious Criminal Offences and high-profile cases including:
- Terrorism Offences
- Violent Offences; including Manslaughter and Murder
- Sexual Offences
- Drug Offences
- Child Neglect
- Driving Offences including; Death by Dangerous Driving and Death by Careless Driving
- Offences against Public Justice
- Trading Standards and Regulatory Offences
- Cases involving vulnerable Defendants, including Learning Disabilities and Autism
- Helen also represents professionals in Fitness to Practise Hearings.
Duty Solicitor- Police Station and Magistrates Court
Member of the Solicitor’s Association of Higher Court Advocates (SAHCA)
Trainer for the Advocacy and the Vulnerable Training Programme
Trustee for The Warning Zone
Founder and organiser of the Annual Leicestershire School Courts Competition
Under Sheriff for Leicestershire
President of Leicestershire Law Society 2012
Solicitor Advocate of the Year in the National Law Society Excellence awards 2015/16.
Finalist for the Leicester Mercury Business Executive of the Year Award 2012
Inspirational Woman Award; Leicestershire Asian Business Association 2012
Leicestershire Law Society Solicitor of the Year Award 2007
Team: Crime Team; Fitness to Practise Team