- New Enquiries
We can assist personal representatives with the administration of estates. On average the administration of a straight forward estate should take between 6 and 12 months.
Key Stages and Time Scales
Please click here to view the key stages and average timescales in this process. These services are included as part of the fee shown below.
The fees involved in a probate matter can vary and this will depend on the individual circumstances involved.
We generally charge an hourly rate which means that you pay for the work actually carried out. Our hourly rates range from £180 plus VAT at 20% (£192) to £300 plus VAT at 20% (£360.00). We can offer a fixed fee upon request.
Our fees in connection with the administration and distribution of a straightforward estate should range between £4,000 and £6,000 plus VAT at 20% (£4,800 and £7,200) and disbursements (as a guide, this is approximately 18-26 hours of work charged at our hourly rates). This figure is for estates where a short inheritance tax form may be required and which have:-
- One property
- Up to two bank accounts
- Up to two intangible assets that pay out to the estate (for example, life policies, shares or other investments)
- Up to four beneficiaries who have mental capacity and who are over the age of 18 or the age specified in the Will
For more complex matters, for instance with a greater number of assets or multiple beneficiaries, our fees should range between £6,000 plus VAT at 20% and £10,000 plus VAT at 20% (£7,200 and £12,000) and disbursements (as a guide, this is approximately 26-43 hours of work charged at our hourly rates). The most complex matters, which might include foreign/business/intellectual property as well as multiple assets and beneficiaries our fees should range between £10,000 plus VAT at 20% and £30,000 plus VAT at 20% (£12,000 and £36,000) and disbursements (as a guide, this is approximately 43-131 hours of work charged at our hourly rates).
If you wish to instruct us only to obtain the Grant of Representation in respect of a straightforward estate, then we anticipate that our fees should not exceed £2,500 plus VAT at 20% (£3,000) and disbursements (as a guide, this is approximately 10 hours work charged at our hourly rates).
Please note that the cost of selling or transferring a property is not included in this price. We work alongside our Conveyancing Team and find that it is more straightforward and more efficient if they deal with any conveyancing matter linked to the estate. They will provide information about fees if required.
There are a number of situations which would increase our costs. The following list is not exhaustive:-
- Multiple properties in the estate
- High value personal belongings
- Foreign assets
- Multiple cash assets
- More than two intangible assets (for example, life policies, shares or other investments)
- Lifetime gifts
- More than four beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries who lack mental capacity or who are under the age of 18 or the age specified in the Will
- Missing beneficiaries/defunct charities
- Intestacies where there are more than four beneficiaries or the family tree needs to be established
- Business interests including unlisted shares
- Complicated tax liabilities (including income tax and capital gains tax)
- Disputes amongst beneficiaries
- Complex inheritance tax issues such as a gift with reservation of benefit, establishing the deceased’s domicile and taper relief
- Ongoing Trusts arising from the Will
- Claims against the estate
If any of the items listed above apply to the estate, then we will revise our fees accordingly. If any the items listed above come to light after we provide you with an indication of our fees, then we will revise it as soon as possible.
It is important that you provide us with as much information as available at the outset so that we can provide you with a realistic indication of fees.
The anticipated disbursements which are payable to third parties and in addition to our fees are:-
- Grant of Representation application fee (£273)
- Fee per sealed copy of the Grant of Representation (£1.50)
- Land Registry search fee (£3 per property)
- Electronic ID verification (£14.40 including VAT per beneficiary)
- Bankruptcy search fee (£2 per beneficiary)
- Swear fee (£5 per Oath and £2 per exhibit)
- Standard Asset search fee (£198 including VAT)
- Premium Asset search fee (£234 including VAT)
- Will search fee (£118.80 including VAT)
- Statutory advertisements fee (dependent upon location but approximately £250 including VAT)
- Property valuation fee (from £180 including VAT)
- Shareholding valuation fee (£7.20 including VAT per shareholding)
- Valuation fee for personal belongings of high value
It is not possible to give an indication of the amount of inheritance tax payable, if any, until we are aware of the circumstances and value of the estate.
Our Wills and Probate Team
Our Wills and Probate Team is made up of experienced Solicitors, a Trainee Solicitor, Paralegals and is supervised by Jane Hinds, Senior Associate Solicitor with over 25 years' experience. Jane is supported by Associate Solicitor Kirsty Gasson, Trainee Solicitor Jessica Latimer, Paralegals Kate Pettitt, Shivani Pabari and Ruth Deathridge.
If you have any questions or would like to arrange an appointment, please contact our Wills and Probate Team.